Lead Dental Assistant
2144 Cecil B. Moore Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19121, USA
Thursday, August 8, 2019
THE MISSION OF PROJECT HOME
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, children, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain our fullest potential as individuals and as members of the broader society. We strive to create a safe and respectful environment where we support each other in our struggles for self-esteem, recovery, and the confidence to move toward self-actualization.
Project HOME achieves its mission through a continuum of services comprised of street outreach, a range of supportive housing, and comprehensive services. We address the root causes of homelessness through neighborhood-based affordable housing, economic development, and environmental enhancement programs, as well as through providing access to employment opportunities; adult and youth education; and health care.
Project HOME is committed to social and political advocacy. An integral part of our work is education about the realities of homelessness and poverty and vigorous advocacy on behalf of and with homeless and low-income persons for more just and humane public policies.
Project HOME is committed to nurturing a spirit of community among persons from all walks of life, all of whom have a role to play in making this a more just and compassionate society.
THE VALUES OF PROJECT HOME
The work of Project HOME is rooted in our strong spiritual conviction of the dignity of each person.
We believe that all persons are entitled to decent, affordable housing and access to quality education, employment, and health care.
We believe in the transformational power of building relationships and community as the ultimate answer to the degradation of homelessness and poverty.
We believe that working to end homelessness and poverty enhances the quality of life for everyone in our community.
We believe that the critical resources entrusted to us to achieve our mission must be managed honorably and professionally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead Dental Assistant Responsibilities:
- Lead and supervise all Dental Assistants and Expanded Function Dental Assistants
- Assist in mentoring and supervising dental students, dental hygiene students, and other interns/volunteers present at clinic
- Assist with in-service, ongoing training of clinic staff, and regular team meetings
- Assist in reviewing clinic productivity, scheduling procedures, and establishing protocols for care and treatment
- Attend Quality Committee meetings and assist in helping department to achieve quality goals
- Approve invoices for dental supplies, dental lab work, and additional services as needed
- Supervise instrument and equipment sterilization and maintenance
- Occasionally participate in outreach events and Project HOME community events in lieu of regular clinic or administrative hours
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant Duties:
- Consistently demonstrate knowledge and skill related to the following “expanded function” duties
- Placing and removing rubber dams, matrices, and wedges
- Placing cavity liners and bases
- Fabricating and cementing provisional restorations for crowns and bridges
- Placing, condensing, carving, and contouring amalgam restorations
- Placing and finishing composite restorations
- Placing sealants and applying fluoride
- Performing coronal polishing
- Taking impressions of teeth for study models, diagnostic casts or athletic appliances
- Removing sutures and providing post-surgical patient management
- Adjusting removable appliances and provisional restorations
- Discussing treatment plans with patients
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies
- Dental Assistant Duties:
- Prepare treatment room for patient by following prescribed procedures and protocols
- Prepare patient for dental treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating, and draping patient and documenting check-in updates in electronic dental record
- Document dental care services by charting in patient electronic records
- Provide information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests
- Provide materials by selecting, mixing, and placing materials on instruments for dentist’s access
- Provide instrumentation by sterilizing and delivering instruments to treatment area; positioning instruments for dentist's access; suctioning; passing instruments using four handed technique
- Provide diagnostic information by exposing digital radiographic studies; pouring and trimming study casts
- Clean and polish removable appliances; fabricate and polish temporary restorations
- Conserve dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed
- Manage patient flow and triage “walk ins”
- Ensure operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; requesting and following up with repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; learning new equipment and techniques; recording maintenance in logs
- Ensure all lab and clinic supplies are ordered in a timely manner; maintain dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipate needed supplies; place and expedite orders for supplies; verify receipt of supplies
- Document receipt of dental supplies, dental lab work, repairs, and additional services
- Educate patients by giving post-operative instructions
- Communicate with Receptionist time /date /procedure of next appointment by documenting next visit information in electronic dental record
- Maintain dental lab work area, keep cases in alphabetical order, and track turnaround times for lab cases; Communicate with lab when a case is overdue; Communicate with receptionist when patient cases are not delivered in a timely manner
- General Responsibilities:
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations
- Protect patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols
- Use sound judgment in patient communication
- Participate in Quality and Risk Management Committee as designated
- Develop and maintain activities to achieve Patient Centered Health Home as required
- Team Functions
- Work in compliance with all medical policies and with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, and funding body regulations
- Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by supervisor or manager
- Exercise good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the supervising dentist or Dental Director
- Constantly strives to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of Project HOME Dental Services
- Current EFDA License for the state of Pennsylvania or Graduation from a Dental Assisting program
- Current Radiology certificate
- Current CPR (BLS) certification
- Demonstrate the ability to skillfully manage a team
- Demonstrate the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff
- Demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment
- Attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility
- Demonstrate cultural competency and take a trauma-informed and harm-reduction approach to health care
- Competency in the use of Electronic Health Records and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and the internet
- At least 3 years of experience as a Dental Assistant or EFDA
- Management experience in a clinical environment
- Experience with Next Gen a plus
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a drug screen and background checks.
Project HOME reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of the duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, youth, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain our fullest potential as individuals and as members of the broader society. We strive to create a safe and respectful environment where we support each other in our struggles for self-esteem, recovery, and the confidence to move toward self-actualization. Join us! Project HOME has a long-standing commitment to equal employment opportunity for all staff and applicants for employment. Employment decisions including, but not limited to, hiring selection, performance evaluation, administration of benefits, working conditions, associate programs, transfers, position changes, training, disciplinary action, compensation, and separations are made without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming), creed, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, domestic partnership status, ancestry, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, civil union status, family status, age, mental or physical disability (including AIDS or HIV-related status), atypical heredity cellular or blood trait of an individual, genetic information or refusal to submit to a genetic test or make available the results of a genetic test, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.