Dental Hygienist Lead
2144 Cecil B. Moore Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19121, USA
Wednesday, June 5, 2019
THE MISSION OF PROJECT HOME
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, children, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain our fullest potential as individuals and as members of the broader society. We strive to create a safe and respectful environment where we support each other in our struggles for self-esteem, recovery, and the confidence to move toward self-actualization.
Project HOME achieves its mission through a continuum of services comprised of street outreach, a range of supportive housing, and comprehensive services. We address the root causes of homelessness through neighborhood-based affordable housing, economic development, and environmental enhancement programs, as well as through providing access to employment opportunities; adult and youth education; and health care.
Project HOME is committed to social and political advocacy. An integral part of our work is education about the realities of homelessness and poverty and vigorous advocacy on behalf of and with homeless and low-income persons for more just and humane public policies.
Project HOME is committed to nurturing a spirit of community among persons from all walks of life, all of whom have a role to play in making this a more just and compassionate society.
THE VALUES OF PROJECT HOME
The work of Project HOME is rooted in our strong spiritual conviction of the dignity of each person.
We believe that all persons are entitled to decent, affordable housing and access to quality education, employment, and health care.
We believe in the transformational power of building relationships and community as the ultimate answer to the degradation of homelessness and poverty.
We believe that working to end homelessness and poverty enhances the quality of life for everyone in our community.
We believe that the critical resources entrusted to us to achieve our mission must be managed honorably and professionally.
Job Summary: The Dental Team Lead will be a member of the clinical staff of the dental department. Clinical duties are to be performed as assigned in specific job descriptions (i.e. Dental Hygienist, Public Health Dental Hygienist, Expanded Function Dental Assistant, Dental Assistant) per Pennsylvania State Board of Dentistry Code.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Dental Team Lead Responsibilities:
- Provide clinical dental treatment in conjunction with dental team
- Lead and supervise, either directly or indirectly, all Dental Assistants and Expanded Function Dental Assistants.
- Ensure completion of job duties and responsibilities of Dental Assistants and Expanded Function Dental Assistants.
- Assist the Dental Director in mentoring and supervising dental students, dental hygiene students, dental assistant students, and other interns/volunteers present at clinic.
- Assist with or lead in-service, ongoing training of clinic staff, and regular team meetings.
- Assist the Dental Director in reviewing clinic productivity, scheduling procedures, and establishing protocols for care and treatment.
- Attend Quality Committee meetings and assist in helping department to achieve quality goals.
- Approve invoices for dental supplies, dental lab work, employee expenses, and additional services as needed.
- Supervise instrument and equipment sterilization and maintenance.
- Occasionally participate in outreach events and Project HOME community events in lieu of regular clinic or administrative hours.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Manage patient flow in clinic.
- Ensure appropriate DA and EFDA staffing for clinic and assist in scheduling with part-time providers.
- Ensure operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; requesting and following up with repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; learning new equipment and techniques; recording maintenance in logs.
- Ensure all lab and clinic supplies are ordered in a timely manner; maintain dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipate needed supplies; place and expedite orders for supplies; verify receipt of supplies.
- Document receipt of dental supplies, dental lab work, repairs, and additional services
- Maintain dental lab work area, keep cases in alphabetical order, and track turnaround times for lab cases; Communicate with lab when a case is overdue; Communicate with receptionist when patient cases are not delivered in a timely manner.
Public Health Dental Hygienist Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Evaluate overall oral health, examining oral cavity for signs of periodontal disease, oral lesions, or possible cancers.
Assess dental condition and needs of patient using approved patient screening procedures, including medical history review, dental charting, and periodontal charting.
Follow through with oral hygiene procedures in accordance with prescribed treatment plans. Procedures may include: Prophylaxis, periodontal scaling, root planing, debridement, supra and subgingival scaling and curettage.
Expose and mount digital radiographs.
Apply fluoride treatment.
Apply protective sealants.
Take impressions of teeth for study models, diagnostic casts or athletic appliances.
Administer local anesthesia.
Documents dental care services by charting in patient electronic records.
Conduct dental health clinics for community groups.
Educate patients in oral hygiene and dental care, including proper tooth brushing, flossing, nutrition, and need for professional care.
Engage patients in Caries Risk Assessments and Self-Management Goal setting.
Ensure operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; requesting and following up with repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; learning new equipment and techniques; recording maintenance in logs.
- Ensure all supplies are ordered in a timely manner; maintain hygiene supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipate needed supplies; place and expedite orders for supplies; verify receipt of supplies.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of established oral hygiene concepts and periodontal therapies, dental procedures, clinic infection control procedures, cleaning and sterilization of instruments, tray set up, and dental materials.
Demonstrate commitment to the mission of the organization in promoting dental health.
Interact positively with a diverse, sometimes difficult, and demanding patient population. Provide service in a manner that is appropriate for the patient’s age; demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to meet the patient’s physical, psychosocial, educational, and safety needs.
Work closely with medical team for integrated patient care.
Provide hygiene services independently within approved scope of Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner without the authorization, assignment, or examination of a dentist.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Maintain patient confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protect patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Use sound judgment in patient communication.
- Participate in Quality and Risk Management Committee as designated.
- Develop and maintain activities to achieve Patient Centered Health Home as required.
- Communicate effectively with all members of the dental team, including clinical team members and operations/front desk team members.
- Work in compliance with all medical policies and with standards such as OSHA, HIPAA, and funding body regulations.
- Perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by supervisor or manager.
- Exercise good judgment in bringing any issues necessary to the attention of the supervising dentist or Dental Director.
- Constantly strives to achieve excellence in the day-to-day operations of Project HOME Dental Services.
Public Health Dental Hygiene Practitioner license for state of Pennsylvania.
Current Registered Dental Hygienist with Pennsylvania state licensure.
- Local Anesthesia Permit for state of Pennsylvania.
- Current CPR (BLS) certification.
- Demonstrate the ability to skillfully manage a team.
Demonstrate the ability to understand the overall purpose of clinical care and importance of support staff.
Demonstrate judgment, patience, integrity, organization, and prioritization in multi-task environment.
Demonstrate attention to detail, dependability, listening and communication skills, and flexibility.
Demonstrate cultural competency and take a trauma-informed and harm-reduction approach to health care.
Competency in the use of Electronic Health Records and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and the internet.
- At least 3 years of clinical experience.
- Management experience in a clinical environment.
Experience with Next Gen a plus.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a drug screen and background checks.
Project HOME reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as needed. This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive statement of the duties and responsibilities of the job nor does it constitute a written or implied contract.
The mission of the Project HOME community is to empower adults, youth, and families to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty, to alleviate the underlying causes of poverty, and to enable all of us to attain our fullest potential as individuals and as members of the broader society. We strive to create a safe and respectful environment where we support each other in our struggles for self-esteem, recovery, and the confidence to move toward self-actualization. Join us! Project HOME has a long-standing commitment to equal employment opportunity for all staff and applicants for employment. Employment decisions including, but not limited to, hiring selection, performance evaluation, administration of benefits, working conditions, associate programs, transfers, position changes, training, disciplinary action, compensation, and separations are made without regard to race, color, religion (including religious dress and grooming), creed, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, domestic partnership status, ancestry, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, civil union status, family status, age, mental or physical disability (including AIDS or HIV-related status), atypical heredity cellular or blood trait of an individual, genetic information or refusal to submit to a genetic test or make available the results of a genetic test, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.