Senior Research Fellow
3434 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201, USA Req #3
Monday, February 25, 2019
Mercatus Center at George Mason University is an Equal Opportunity employer of qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Mercatus Center also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of the protected categories.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking a Senior Research Fellow to join our Innovation and Governance Program. In this role, you will examine financial markets regulation and provide a university source for sound economic ideas for policy makers. The successful applicant will have a PhD in economics and/or a JD, work as part of the Mercatus Policy Research Team, and report to the Director of the Innovation and Governance Program.
- Conduct academic research, including empirical analysis, economic analysis, and analysis of financial/economic history, to examine the relationship between the regulation and functioning of the financial system; topics can include the regulation of securities and derivatives markets, housing finance, banking, and consumer finance
- Write academic articles and working papers, shorter policy papers, short policy briefs, and op-eds
- Participate in various events representing the Mercatus Center
- Provide press interviews, testify before Congress, and brief members of Congress and congressional and agency staffers
- PhD in Economics, Finance or related field, and/or a JD
- Some knowledge of public choice/economic theory of regulation and/or new institutional economics is preferred
- Ability to do empirical work is preferred
- Knowledge of the literature on bank or securities market regulation and writing for peer-reviewed journals
- Familiarity with current policy debates related to financial market regulation
Help Us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and free credits at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For nearly 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world's premier university source for market-oriented ideas-bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society's most pressing problems.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Doctorate
- 3434 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201, USA