Research Tech I/II (Peters Lab)
A full-time position for a Research Technician is available immediately at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology working on high-impact projects with implications in tuberculosis disease in the Division of Vaccine Discovery. The Research Technician will join the lab of Dr. Bjoern Peters, who studies the human immune response to a variety of complex antigens, such as allergens, viruses, and bacteria. Our research utilizes the tools of bioinformatics-based epitope predictions to identify correlates of immune responses through studying blood samples from vaccinated individuals or those suffering from active infections. Successful candidates will join an interdisciplinary group of researchers dedicated to the identification and characterization of immune responses.
Under the supervision of Drs. Cecilia Lindestam Arlehamn and Bjoern Peters, the Research Technician will assist in performing research in immunology/vaccine discovery. The Research Technician will primarily focus on large-scale high-throughput FluoroSpot assays, but may also perform a wide range of other immunological techniques such as isolating primary cells, cell culture, and flow cytometry.
The Research Technician is also responsible for preparing buffers, solutions, and routine lab chemicals, and is responsible for laboratory administrative duties that include maintaining a research database, data entry into spreadsheets, and ordering/receiving supplies. Other duties include installing, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment, as well as organizing and keeping accurate and meticulous records of all reagents in freezers, refrigerators, and liquid nitrogen tanks.
Candidates must have:
- B.A./B.S. or higher in a biological science, chemistry, or biochemistry. Previous experience in a cellular/molecular biology laboratory is a bonus.
- Theoretical knowledge of biology, immunology, cell biology or related field at the college "upper division" level; or equivalent knowledge and experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic and advanced tissue culture techniques.
- Proven experience using laboratory equipment such as centrifuges, balances, and pipettes.
- Proven experience in accurate record keeping with ability to organize, analyze, and calculate data.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Positive attitude and ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in ELISPOT/FluoroSpot, flow cytometry, and/or ELISA.
- Must be willing to work with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials.
- Must be willing to work with human blood.
Interested applicants please submit the following in a single attachment:
- A brief cover letter relating how your talents fulfill the criteria for this position
- Your resume/CV
- A minimum of two references (three preferred)
- Job Function RT
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA