Watchdog/City & Parish Government Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Watchdog/City & Parish Government Reporter
The Shreveport Times/shreveporttimes.com in Shreveport, Louisiana, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an energetic watchdog journalist to be the eyes and ears of our readers – holding government and elected officials accountable while developing some of the most interesting stories emerging in the city.
The ideal candidate for this position is a people person who will establish relationships in the community that will facilitate watchdog reporting.
It’s for someone who isn’t afraid of the biggest story of the day, the month, the year, and sticking with it, following through on news tips and developing the best multi-sourced story possible.
We’re looking for a reporter strong with public information requests but hasn’t forgotten how good old-fashioned shoe leather often leads to the best writing. The reporter is a strong storyteller who doesn’t just break news but has the writing and multimedia skills that make readers invest into reading longer pieces.
We want a smart, ambitious, hard-working, nice reporter who is self-driven and independently develops a strong story. You will be required to use your discretion, creativity and news judgment to influence how we approach our coverage.
The Shreveport Times is part of the USA TODAY network and works closely with the other four USA TODAY network papers in Louisiana to exchange and share content. The content strategist will help facilitate those partnerships, keeping The Town Talk, The Advertiser, The News Star and The Daily World informed about stories of statewide interest.
Shreveport and Bossier City, which anchor our market, are in northwest Louisiana, with many opportunities for outdoor activities and a thriving arts and entertainment scene. The local LA Film Prize, offering $50,000 to a winning film short, has attracted many budding filmmakers. We’re an easy drive from Dallas, New Orleans and Houston.
Shreveport and its sister city Bossier City are located on opposite sides of the Red River, the heart of the metropolitan area. Shreveport, located on the Louisiana/Texas border, is the cultural and gaming center of northwestern Louisiana. From slot machines to gaming tables and horse racing, Shreveport has something to offer every gambler.
If taking chances is not your game, enjoy the culture of the diverse city with its thriving downtown arts district, shopping and the plethora of locally owned restaurants. Bossier is home to Barksdale Air Force Base. The host unit at Barksdale is the 2nd Bomb Wing, the oldest bomb wing in the Air Force. Barksdale is equipped with about 44 B-52 bombers. More than 440,000 people call the Shreveport/Bossier City metropolitan area home.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 plus years’ previous reporting, producing and editing experience; even better if you have a track record of holding government and elected officials accountable
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check and a urinalysis drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Shreveport, LA, USA