Education & Family Issues Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Education & Family Issues Reporter
The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for an education and family issues reporter to cover K-12 education issues and stories that affect children and families throughout South Carolina.
South Carolina has consistent struggles with providing high-quality education, and often is at the bottom of the country when it comes to student success. We want a reporter who can get at why that is and help begin the discussion of how to solve the problems that beset our public schools.
Although this reporter will be covering school districts in a three-county region, this is not primarily a meetings-oriented beat. We want someone who looks beyond the agendas and digs deeply into stories that have a broad impact on our communities.
Similarly, South Carolina often is at the bottom of lists that assess family issues: Poverty, domestic abuse and crimes against women, drug and alcohol abuse, access to health care, foster care, educational attainment, unemployment and gentrification all are problems that affect children and families in our state. We want a reporter who will explore the things that are holding children back and begin probing solutions.
The ideal candidate will be a reporter who can develop a deep source network, pore over documents to identify trends and problems, and then can find out who’s talking about solutions to those problems and analyze their success. It’s also someone who understands how to write for different audiences depending on the topic, and who can craft concise, compelling and informative narratives.
Greenville is the anchor city in a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million people that is consistently listed among the best places to live in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and sits halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Use digital analytics to guide content decisions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years’ experience working in a digital-first newsroom with an understanding of how a digital-first approach affects decisions about when and how to publish stories.
- Experience writing investigative or solutions-oriented journalism.
- Understanding of education and family issues.
- Ability to work with photojournalists from the beginning of a project to its end and understand when it might be more appropriate to pursue their own visuals with the tools they have.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and Snap Chat.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Greenville, SC, USA