City of Clemson & Clemson University Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
City of Clemson & Clemson University Reporter
The Anderson Independent-Mail/independentmail.com and the Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are looking for an enterprising and creative reporter to cover Clemson University and the city of Clemson. This is a beat that has been carefully built over the past 12 months to become one of the most productive beats in our newsroom.
The reporter who succeeds in this beat will be able to quickly develop deep sources on the campus of one of the country’s top universities and tell stories that are meaningful to Clemson’s student body and the people who live in and around the community. Student issues are important, but so are stories about the complicated relationship between the city and the university.
This reporter is part of our watchdog team. This beat should be producing three to five daily stories every week, a solid enterprise story every week or two and a major enterprise story every quarter. It’s a prime beat in a newsroom that strives to write meaningful journalism that has an impact on the communities we cover.
This ideal candidate will:
- Be able to build a strong source network on a college campus and in a vibrant community.
- Understand the need produce compelling content quickly in a digital-first newsroom.
- Know how to engage a university audience on social media and other digital-first platforms.
- Produce compelling enterprise and investigative stories that address real problems on the Clemson University campus and in the community.
- Know how to tell stories that resonate with people because they are about people and how important issues impact their lives and their livelihoods.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some previous reporting experience writing in a digital-first newsroom preferred; even better if you've covered a city or university beat.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- An understanding of digital analytics and metrics and how they impact the ways we tell and write stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Anderson, SC, USA
- Clemson, SC, USA
- Greenville, SC, USA