California Newsletter Correspondent
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
California Newsletter Correspondent
Can you tell California’s story to the nation, and the world?
The USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an entrepreneurial journalist to develop, launch and anchor a distinctive California email newsletter that captures our best journalism from The Golden State and delivers the news of the day to people here, across the country, and indeed around the globe.
California is at the heart of issues including immigration, climate change, and housing. The state is a leader in technology and agriculture and a cultural trend-setter in many realms. Love it or hate it, California matters.
If you are an ambitious, digital savvy, creative journalist with a distinctive voice and you would relish the opportunity to build something new and work with colleagues across the state and around the country, this may be the opportunity for you. This position requires strategic thinking, collaborative skills, and a willingness to experiment, problem-solve, iterate and innovate.
We are looking for a high-energy writer who lives in California, knows the state deeply, and can create a must-read newsletter at least five days a week. You should be curious not only about stories but also about analytics, product features and metrics to track our progress.
Why a California newsletter? The USA Today Network has nearly 100 reporters, editors, videographers and photographers across the Golden State, and we want our journalism to connect with more people, from Eureka in the north to El Centro in the south.
We would prefer that the candidate hired work at one of our California sites.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 4+ years’ experience in journalism in California.
- Experience authoring a newsletter with a strong voice and audience.
- Track record of digital savvy and innovation.
- Strong collaboration and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with analytics tools and data.
- Great organizational skills.
- Deft interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong command of spelling, grammar and AP style, and a knack for details including names and places.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Strong sense of news judgement.
- Large presence on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check and a urinalysis drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job with a statement of your vision for this role, including your assessment of the competitive landscape (maximum 600 words)
- Links to 4-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
- 1 or 2 sample newsletters that you’ve written that demonstrate how you would approach authoring a USA Today Network California newsletter, including content from some or all of the following: USA Today, The Desert Sun, The Ventura County Star, The Redding Record Searchlight, The Reno Gazette-Journal, The Visalia Times Delta, and The Salinas Californian.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Palm Springs, CA, USA
- Redding, CA, USA
- Salinas, CA, USA
- Ventura, CA, USA
- Visalia, CA, USA