Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com, a Pulitzer Prize-winning member of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for an experienced investigative reporter to join our Investigative & Enterprise Team.
The Clarion Ledger, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, is the largest media site in Mississippi. It provides statewide coverage of politics, culture and sports (covering for colleges and countless high schools) while also focusing on what makes the local communities such exciting places in which to live.
- Develop short and long-term investigative reports.
- Using strong data skills, elevate the reporting necessary to execute ambitious work.
- Mine public records for information and work with documents to parse the important facts.
- Weave a compelling narrative that shows the human side of issues while being equally adept at writing strong news pieces surfaces the most important part of the reporting and tells readers how it effects their lives.
- Juggle daily and enterprise work, with an emphasis on exceptional time management skills, an eagerness to collaborate and a willingness to embrace coaching and editing.
- Make an impact in and grow with a newsroom that is dedicated to investigative journalism and has a proven track record of effecting change in our communities and state.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ reporting/newsroom experience at a daily newspaper.
- Excellent communication and time management skills; ability to deliver on deadline.
- Understanding of audience and how best to tell complex stories that have impact.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check and a urinalysis drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 4-5 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Jackson, MS, USA