Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Are you creative in developing visual storytelling across multiple platforms, using both photography and videography? Are you passionate about acting as a public ambassador through community outreach and connecting with readers through social media? Do you love collaborating with others to shape storytelling that will generate audience interest? If you answered yes, keep reading.
The Statesman Journal/statesmanjournal.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, located in Salem, Oregon, seeks a multimedia journalist specializing in visuals to cover news as it happens in and around our community.
We are a digital-first organization that puts an emphasis on posting online first. This journalist must have a talent and passion for digital storytelling that leads to increased digital subscriptions and digital audience growth.
Multimedia journalists specializing in visuals should be adept at telling all types of stories from breaking news to sports to features, all with passion and attention to detail. The right candidate also understands some platforms are better than others in reaching audiences.
Salem is Oregon’s state capital. The Statesman Journal covers Marion and Polk counties in the Mid-Willamette Valley, home to hundreds of vineyards and wineries and craft breweries. The Statesman Journal is one hour from Portland, 90 minutes from the Oregon Coast, and amazing outdoor experiences are even closer.
- Create quality multimedia storytelling using photography, videography and text that accurately informs, entertains and engages our audience.
- Shoot and edit short videos, shoot still photographs, create photo galleries, write captions and occasional short stories as assigned by their supervising editor.
- Uses audience metrics to assist in making coverage decisions.
- Demonstrates high command of techniques and sophisticated craftsmanship in photo/video storytelling and community engagement.
- Acts as a community watchdog in this area of expertise.
- Collaborate and connect with the community through visual storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Work with editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Work on special projects and perform editing of visuals when needed.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with strong internships.
- Experience with multimedia storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Exceptional core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography).
- Ability to use basic and advanced computer programs, including but not limited to video editing software including Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop and Photo Mechanic.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our customers’ time and money.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong industry knowledge.
- Organizational skills.
- Understanding of social media and how to respond and engage fan base on digital platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer feedback and training.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Writing, spelling, grammar, AP style.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Conduct.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Must be willing to work weekends, this may include evening shifts and will include some holidays.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work or online portfolio. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Salem, OR, USA