News Reporter - Science, Technology and Culture
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Knoxville News Sentinel and knoxnews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are seeking a reporter to cover the intersection of science, technology, culture, policy and politics in the Oak Ridge Corridor.
The Oak Ridge Corridor stretches from the high-tech research centers in Oak Ridge itself through the University of Tennessee to the feet of the Great Smoky Mountains. It encompasses a concentration of scientists and researchers bigger than Silicon Valley or the Research Triangle, and billions of research dollars are spent here every year.
As the nation grapples with generational questions about how to power our country, how to tackle looming environmental crises and how to apply technology to defense, the Oak Ridge Corridor will be one of the biggest players in these arenas.
Ultimately, though, the story of the Oak Ridge Corridor is a story about people, and we’re looking for a reporter who can delve into these big topics through the lives of the people who work and live here, relating to audiences locally, regionally and nationally.
This reporter will have to be adept at telling a story in different cadences across different platforms, using the best possible form for the story and audience.
Typical Job Duties
• Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages our audience.
• Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience’s passions.
• Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in this area of expertise.
• Demonstrates clear concise writing skills and an emphasis on “why this is important to me.”
• Demonstrates the ability to tell the stories of people over institutions.
• Identifies, cultivates and curates contributed, authoritative content and reporting that expands the footprint of the beat.
• Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
• Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
• Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
• Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
• Performs other duties as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience and education.
• Record of mastery of a complex beat.
• Strong news judgment.
• Outstanding research skills and extensive contacts that can break news.
• Ability to create trust within their niche community.
• Knowledge of AP style.
• SEO proficiency.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Passion about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Knowledge of reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Ability to collaborate well with others and to work within geographically separated teams on the biggest stories.
• Must be willing to travel on short notice to cover breaking news events.
• Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Life in Knoxville
Knoxville combines the best of urban and outdoors life in one of the most beautiful settings in America, on the banks of the Tennessee River and in the shadows of the Great Smoky Mountains. The city is home to the University of Tennessee, which adds even more energy to a dynamic city that hosts internationally recognized chefs, a thriving independent retail scene, world-class outdoors venues, including the renowned urban wilderness, and the elite athletics of the Southeastern Conference.
It’s also home to the critically acclaimed Big Ears music festival created by Bonnaroo founder Ashley Capps, who lives here and helps nurture a thriving original music scene that draws artists from across the globe. And the cost of living will blow you away — it’s one of the country’s more affordable urban areas in state with no income tax.
When applying, please include a single document with as much of the following as possible: a brief cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position, your updated resume, and portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. It’s important that these items be assembled into a single document, preferably in PDF format. The application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount programs and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is top-notch and the contributions you make up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% company match.
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family News
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Knoxville, TN, USA