LSU Sports Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
LSU Sports Reporter
The Lafayette Daily Advertiser/theadvertiser.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a Southeastern Conference beat reporter to cover Louisiana State University sports.
The selected candidate will join an award-winning, statewide network that is expanding. The hire will have the primary role in covering a nationally competitive powerhouse sports program.
You will be based and work in Baton Rouge, home to LSU sports, and be willing to travel when necessary to provide coverage for Louisiana and other USA Today Network newspapers.
While the focus of the beat will be on LSU sports major football, basketball and baseball programs, the selected candidate will also write on other LSU sports and local, regional and statewide sporting events.
The USA Today Network in Louisiana includes The Daily Advertiser in Lafayette and four other USA Today newspapers in Monroe, Shreveport, Opelousas and Alexandria.
The selected candidate will coordinate with a regional sports team also responsible for coverage of SEC programs across the South.
This position demands daily trend reporting while also working on longer enterprise pieces. The selected candidate should know the SEC and develop deep contacts and sources throughout the conference.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Create smart, thoughtful, engaging and sophisticated content in a variety of formats.
- Provide leadership in developing audiences on Facebook, Twitter and other emerging social platforms, as well as podcasts.
- Think creatively in this quickly-changing media world, offering new ways to approach the routine story.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous reporting experience is a plus; even better if you've covered all levels of sports.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Must travel for road conference games.
- Be comfortable appearing on camera and in front of a crowd.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Baton Rouge, LA, USA