Digital Producer I
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Digital Producer I
The Clarion-Ledger/clarionledger.com in Jackson, Mississippi, a part of the USA TODAY NETWORK and a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper is the largest media site in Mississippi. We are searching for a digital producer to join our ranks.
A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment and should have prior digital news experience. You should be a strong collaborator who can work closely with reporters, editors, designers and newsroom leadership.
Our producers are responsible for maintaining a standard of excellence in our websites and social media platforms and serve as the digital experts within our organization. You will work with sites in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana.
- Optimizing, editing and posting content, including adding videos, SEO meta-data, hyperlinks, images and additional digital content to stories.
- Writing effective digital headlines and summaries that help attract audiences.
- Creating engaging social posts that attract audiences and encourage readers to interact with content.
- Sending breaking news alerts.
- Using metrics tools to help maximize the network’s audience on all platforms.
- Managing workflow to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience in a newsroom is preferred.
- Experience utilizing social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit to curate and promote news content.
- Strong understanding of audience metrics, SEO and social optimization with the goal of growing audience.
- Effective communicator who is able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to use a wide range of online tools, programming and data management to engage readers.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing quick write-ups based on trending topics.
- Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Copy, Production & Planning
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Jackson, MS, USA