Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Reporter I - Suburbs Reporter
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/jsonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a digital-first reporter to help cover suburbs in the Milwaukee area.
We’re looking for an energetic journalist who has solid reporting and writing skills, natural curiosity and a gift for telling stories in a multimedia environment.
The successful applicant must bring an audience-growth mindset to the job and be able to identify emerging stories that will help bring in new readers. This includes being able to determine the best way to tell individual stories, from text to audio to video to Q&A or other alternative formats. He or she must have a passion for telling stories quickly when needed, in-depth when called for, and always with accuracy.
The priority is to write stories in a timely manner for posting online. Some will also appear in the zoned weekly Now publications. In additional to general assignments, the reporter covers Hartland, village and city of Pewaukee, as well as other communities in the Lake Country area of Waukesha County, and their associated police departments.
This position reports to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel communities editor.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- This reporter will cultivate relationships with city, county and school officials, business leaders and community stakeholders.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Source development is critical to the beat.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Bachelor's or master’s in Communications, Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience. We will also consider candidates with significant intern experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience (including college programs).
- Familiarity with the suburbs of Southeastern Wisconsin is a plus.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Milwaukee, WI, USA