Breaking News & Public Safety Reporter
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Breaking News & Public Safety Reporter
The Citizen Times/citizen-times.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a reporter who thrives on breaking news and keeping public safety officials accountable, and is eager to write impactful stories that will get the community talking and sharing.
The job includes coverage of public safety agencies and courts, but it is more than just a cops beat. This reporter will be expected to write both quick turns on the news of the day as well as regular enterprise, focusing on both public safety accountability and general assignment topics.
Training in mobile journalism is a bonus. In coverage of breaking news, this reporter would need to build a story quickly for digital platforms and then know how to advance the story with an engaging lead and well sourced copy.
Asheville, North Carolina is a vibrant community in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to some of the nation's best mountain biking, hiking and kayaking. It's also known as a top restaurant destination and boasts dozens of craft breweries.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years’ previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you've covered breaking news or a police beat.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience’s time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This position involves an early start to the day and occasional weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Asheville, NC, USA