Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The USA TODAY Network has an opening for a Graphics Director to lead graphic-driven content experiences within our Digital Storytelling and Design Studios. This person will lead the Graphics Team, an entrepreneurial crew that creates superior interactive, data-rich visual storytelling designed to engage our audience on all devices. Story forms include interactive graphics, data visualizations, databases, short- or long-form explainers, motion graphics and cartography. The graphics director is a manager and supervisor for the story and graphics creation process, working with all content teams – data reporters, writers, fellow visual journalists and editors. The ideal candidate is a coach, a creator and a visionary.
Typical Job Duties:
- Coach, mentor and develop the team in its quest to be an industry leader in bold graphic storytelling.
- Coach how best to display complex information and make it easy for readers to comprehend and engage with.
- Research, propose, develop, manage and implement innovative graphic and data visualization techniques.
- Liaison between newsroom leadership and digital storytelling teams, playing a key role in editorial decisions.
- Work closely with our team of developers, designers and editors to implement and deliver outstanding final experiences on tight deadlines.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience developing sophisticated interactive infographics and data visualizations.
- Ability to solve complex data/design problems with the user in mind.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work of a diverse team, adhering to critical project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess an expert understanding of user experience principles and information hierarchy.
Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in data visualization, graphic reporting, journalism or related field.
- 5+ years of newsroom graphics and data visualization management.
- Proven proficiency in optimizing digital information for all platforms.
- Strong communication and collaboration experience.
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, put together a single document file that includes as much of the following as you can provide:
- Your resume.
- A cover letter that describes what you would bring to the job.
- Links to 3-6 samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
*It’s important that these items be assembled into a single document (preferably in PDF format) since our application will only allow one document upload. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job Family Creative & Design
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Jones Branch Dr, Tysons, VA 22102, USA
- McLean, VA, USA