News - Investigations Editor
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal and SweetIQ, and U.K. media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an experienced Investigations Editor to lead reporters in producing watchdog work that holds the powerful accountable and makes a difference in readers’ lives.
This editor should be an expert at prying out hard-to-get information by using state and federal open meetings and open records laws. He or she also should be fluent with how to acquire and scrub databases, analyze the information and institute checks to ensure findings are sound.
In addition, the investigations editor will direct our four-person business team. Previous experience in directing business coverage is preferred. He or she will love to coach reporters, setting high standards and elevating the quality of our journalism. The ideal candidate will have a track record of guiding innovative investigative and enterprise work and will be a wordsmith who can help reporters fine-tune their writing as well as sharpen their reporting.
He or she will have proven project management skills, capable of organizing major, multi-month investigations and meeting agreed-upon deadlines, while also supervising quick-turn daily stories.
In addition, he or she will be well-versed in using metrics to shape beats, platform choices and social media strategies to increase audience engagement.
Des Moines is a capital city and every four years becomes the political capital of the world as Iowa hosts the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses. An affinity for political coverage is a plus. The metro is also home to a vibrant arts and entertainment scene and a large community of young professionals living downtown.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com website and various nondaily publications.
- Lead a team of reporters and collaborate with others across the newsroom to identify and execute powerful investigative journalism.
- Drive innovative storytelling in all formats, from written word to video, audio and graphics.
- Conceptualize stories, work with reporters to develop reporting plans and edit their work into a polished and engaging final form.
- Collaborate with other investigative editors across the USA TODAY Network on best practices and multisite projects.
- Edits projects and complex stories, as well as daily stories and follow-ups from team members.
- Guides journalists by consultation and coaching before, during and after the creation of content.
- Participates in community-connection discussions to advocate for audiences.
- Identifies and address training needs of individuals and groups.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years of journalism writing, editing and media management experience.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Proven ability to lead teams and push journalists to do their best work.
- A fine-tuned sense of right and wrong and a keen understanding of how to make complex stories relatable.
- A deep understanding of how to use records and data to answer questions.
- Organizational ability to manage multiple projects and juggle short-term and long-term reporting efforts.
- Ability to digest large amounts of information, “see the story,” and help reporters execute with urgency.
- Excellent story-telling skills.
- Knowledge of libel law, open records law, data reporting and digital publishing.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Experience editing and shaping watchdog and investigative journalism.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Understanding use of metrics, social-media and SEO knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP and local style.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.
- Job Family Editors
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA