CU Medicine is dedicated to providing healthcare and administrative support to the University Of Colorado School Of Medicine’s nearly 3,000 providers. We are seeking a highly motivated Staff Accountant to join our Finance team.
The Staff Accountant will complete the monthly close process for areas of assigned responsibility from preparation of journal entries through the issuance of financial statements. The individual in this role will also prepare audit work papers, reconcile general ledger accounts, perform related analysis, respond to department inquiries and assist with special project work as assigned.
Job responsibilities and expectations will include but are not limited to:
- Utilize knowledge of accounting principles and business transactions to complete monthly financial books closing and create cash and accrual financial statements for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and independently determine the appropriateness of requests.
- Complete monthly account reconciliations, including follow up on amounts placed into clearing and suspense accounts.
- Develop a full understanding of departments’ accounting business model.
- Perform variance analysis and provide explanations for department budget and actual variances.
- Prepare quarterly accruals and audit workpapers for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assist with the update of monthly expense allocations and schedules on an annual basis.
- Understand the intent of department and global allocations built into the accounting system and check for accuracy, build new allocations and suggest changes to existing allocations for efficiency.
- Respond to departmental inquiries, issues and concerns. Perform necessary ad hoc analysis to determine appropriate course of action for resolution.
- Perform technical accounting research as needed (GASB pronouncements, financial statement presentation, etc.).
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial statements.
- Guide departments through budget process through effective communication, variance analysis and final preparation of budget reports.
- Perform other duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
Requires 2-3 three years of general accounting experience with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Associate's degree plus relevant experience. Must demonstrate a solid knowledge of accounting principles. Intermediate to advanced Excel skills are required with a high degree of familiarity utilizing accounting software applications. Must have strong organizational and analytical skills combined with the ability to work independently and take ownership of projects. The ideal candidate will effectively prioritize multiple projects to meet deadlines.
All applications MUST be submitted via our website.
CU Medicine is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our staff and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees prior to their employment. Additionally, drug and health screenings may be required for some positions. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CU Medicine supports a Tobacco Free Workplace Environment which prohibits smoking and the use of tobacco products on CU Medicine property, Anschutz Medical Campus and adjacent business locations.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- University of Colorado Medicine, AURORA, Colorado, United States of America