Relationship Banker II
More than half a century ago, we opened our doors at Cathay Bank to serve the growing Chinese American community in Los Angeles. We helped our customers put down new roots with cars and homes, and we supported their businesses, which continue to sustain generations. We remain committed to enriching the journeys of our customers and the diverse communities we serve.
Over time, we’ve expanded along with our customers. Today, we’re a subsidiary of Cathay General Bancorp (NASDAQ: CATY), a publicly held bank holding company. We operate in nine states across the United States, including California, New York, Illinois, Washington, Texas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, and New Jersey, and we have outposts in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai and Taipei. Forbes named us the #10 Best Bank in America in 2019.
Along with our extensive experience and innovative thinking, we bring an open mind to every interaction and a willingness to work with customers and communities in ways that best suit their needs. Our lines of business include personal banking, home mortgages, business banking, corporate
lending, cash management, SBA loan programs, community lending, international banking, foreign exchange, and wealth management.
Are you passionate about a potential career in the financial services industry? Cathay Bank is excited about what’s to come for our company and customers. Our employees are the reason our customers can get where they want to go and aspire to what’s next.
If you bring your best self to work, see opportunities instead of obstacles, and always want to advance in your career, then Cathay Bank may be a great fit for you. We’re excited to offer our employees opportunities to grow and develop in their career journey. We also provide the resources, support and freedom so that employees can best deliver an extraordinary customer experience.
Join Cathay Bank—and be energized by what’s possible for your career!
Responsible for primarily opening new accounts, cross-selling bank products/services, referring customers to other areas of the bank as appropriate, and resolving customer service issues. As needed, will process teller transactions and provide operational support. Process transactions with accuracy and efficiency while delivering an overall professional and exceptional customer experience. Follow regulations and bank security procedures to protect customers as well as minimize risk to the bank.
- Perform all aspects of new account opening procedures for all bank products/services.
- Answer customer inquiries, make appropriate financial solutions and recommendations and assist with problem resolution.
- Perform customer service functions such as check orders, change of address, return mail processing, supersede signature cards, and other account maintenance changes.
- Maintain confidentiality of customer information as well as Bank proprietary information.
Sales & Service
- Identify sales opportunities to cross-sell bank products and services to ensure customers’ financial goals are met.
- Provide quality personalized customer service, maintain frequent customer contact to expand relationships and ensure customer retention.
- Maintain open communication with Bank business partners and make referrals as appropriate (e.g. Financial Advisors, Mortgage Loan Originators, Commercial Lenders).
- Proactively support branch new business promotions.
- Perform deposits and withdrawal transactions.
- Reconcile and balance teller cash drawer.
- Process outgoing wires.
- Essential functions of Safe Deposit box (e.g. entry, opening, maintenance).
- Assist customers with problem resolution.
- Assist in ATM balancing.
- Detect and report fraudulent or suspicious activities by completing BSA reporting as required, Currency Transactions Reports or Monetary Instrument Reports.
- College degree in business, accounting or finance preferred, but not required
- 1-2 years of cash handling, customer service in a retail environment, or sales experience required. Banking experience is a plus.
- Minimum 1 year new accounts, sales experience, or relevant banking experience, preferred.
- Motivated to consistently provide our customers with excellent service and help them achieve their financial goals.
- PC literate and typing proficient. Previous experience with data entry, 10-key, banking software, and Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook a plus.
- Detail-oriented and organized – can multi-task, work well under pressure and follow through on commitments.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and communication skills – can make personal connections, engage and educate the customer, ask open-ended questions, listen to establish trust and build lasting relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to assess customer needs, provide appropriate solutions or recommendations, and optimize sales opportunities to new and existing customers
- Ability to work independently and as part of team.
- Ability to give and receive feedback to improve skills and job knowledge.
- Able to work weekends and extended hours as required to meet business demands
- Bilingual English/Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) preferred.
- May obtain (optional) MLO (Mortgage Loan Originator) status to originate mortgage loans. Must possess an active registration or be eligible for registration under the Nationwide Licensing System & Registry (NMLS).
- Able and willing to commute as required for business needs.
It is the individual responsibility of every employee to maintain a current awareness and understanding of appropriate banking laws, regulations, internal policies and procedures, and to comply fully with those laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
From time to time, employees may be assigned tasks or duties as deemed appropriate by their supervisors.
- West Covina, CA, USA