Blue Horseshoe is actively seeking a Design Engineer to join our growing strategy team. The Design Engineer will work with the strategy team to design material handling systems, determine operational requirements, design detailed system layouts, formulate material handling system budgets, and work collaboratively with project team and clients to meet project specifications.
Position: Design Engineer
- Design system layouts and determine operational requirements so that a detailed system flow can be generated.
- Perform all required calculations to validate system throughput and workability.
- Lead system start-up, debug and testing activities and provide system review and punch-listing.
- Produce, review, and approve system as-built/as-installed drawings and corresponding equipment specifications and RFPs for transport conveyor, high-speed sortation systems, storage and picking equipment, and other related material handling equipment.
- Perform and manage field checking of existing equipment, sites, and facilities.
- Provide technical direction and coaching to other team members and discipline members
- Be responsible for completion of assigned project deliverables as it relates to cost and schedule.
- Maintain project records.
- Provide detailed engineers cost estimates and budgets for all conveyor and storage systems and related installation work.
- Provide project scheduling input for conveyor systems implementation.
- Perform peer reviews of engineering materials, as directed to ensure deliverable quality.
- Track and communicate project status, both internally and externally.
- Present and walkthrough designs and process flow as part of sales, feasibility, design and implementation phases.
- Review and approve contractor engineering submittals
- Recording time and expenses related to the proposal generation phase of projects
- Supports the development of proposal documents and develops engineering bill of materials for proposal documentation
- Developing project cost summary for mechanical and structural equipment and installation
- Assisting in the development of the project execution schedule
- Developing final equipment lists from approval drawings
- Issuing purchase orders for electrical equipment, engineering, and installation labor
- Reviewing and approving vendor invoices
- Reviews vendor installation drawings and installation document packages for correctness
- Coordinating delivery of equipment from vendors to customers
- On site supervision during installation and debugging phases of projects
- Developing as-built drawings and documentation package
- Developing relevant spare-parts lists, maintenance manuals, and operator training manuals
- Bachelor's Degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited university with at least 5 years of related work experience.
- Proficient in AutoCAD 2D/3D software (proficiency in FactoryCAD, Inventor, or Solidworks is a plus)
- Proficient in MS Outlook, basic MS Excel (calculations, functions, sorting, formatting), MS Word (basic formatting).
- Skilled in conveyor system design and engineering.
- Understand basics of mechanical systems and processes for various types of conveyor systems, including high-speed sortation and material handling systems.
- Understand the basics of pneumatic, hydraulic, and conveyor electrical controls applications.
- Understand and be familiar with governmental Safety Codes & Standards.
- Understand and be familiar with client Specifications and Safety Codes & Standards.
- Understand contract documents and project records.
- Ability to create and present designs, specifications and process flows as part of sales, feasibility, design and implementation phases
- Must be open to 50% travel domestically.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US on a permanent basis without sponsorship.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 50
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Westerville, OH, USA