CDL Driver - New York State Locations
The Action Environmental Group, is the most progressive and innovative provider of solid waste and recycling services in Northern New Jersey, Orange and Rockland County New York — through our acquisition of Interstate Waste Services (IWS), and in New York City as Action Carting. We cater to a diverse range of residential, industrial and commercial customers. Our mission has always been to provide our customers with the highest quality waste, recycling and environmental services, while keeping focus on employee, customer and environmental safety.
What makes our company culture unique is we have mastered the ability to balance the standards of a large corporate company while maintaining our small business family style culture.
Our Drivers are responsible for safely operating one of these various types of heavy duty vehicles: front-, side-, or rear-loading truck, roll off, rack truck, and the occasional tractor trailer, for the pick-up service of bags or containers filled with waste or recyclable material. Drivers transport the material to a transfer station or recycling facility, and may make one or more trips throughout the shift. Our employees typically specialize in one of the above truck types, but we encourage internal training and movement to grow skills operating any and all of them.
When you drive for IWS, you join a team of the best drivers in the Tristate area -- professional, well-trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They know they are valued front line team members who are key in making The Action Environmental Group number one in the industry, and number one in your community.
We care about your safety! This is why all Drivers spend a full week training at our Safety University in Jersey City, and two weeks on the job (paid of course) before they are assigned a route.
Our Drivers service up to 500 customers per day according to their assigned routes. Routes may require Drivers to navigate through congested communities and confined areas in city locations. Highly skilled backing maneuvers are essential to successfully perform this job. Our drivers routinely climb in and out of the truck cab to service customer accounts when their helpers need assistance.
- Perform pre- and post-route inspections of truck and document any safety issues on standard reports in compliance with IWS’s safety standards as well as OSHA and DOT regulations and local traffic laws.
- Continuously monitor for safety and service related issues, as well as containers or other equipment in need of repair, and report any issues to the Route Supervisor or Dispatch.
- All IWS employees are expected to be responsible and accountable for the safety for themselves, their colleagues, the trucks, and other equipment and property. Drivers must immediately notify Route Supervisor or Dispatch of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Communicate professionally with customers and Dispatchers at all times. This includes receiving complaints about schedules and quality of service. Our Drivers must make note of and report on any such complaints and respond in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Work closely with Route Supervisor to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- We are continuously investing in equipment, and many of our trucks are less than 2 years old.
- We deploy both manual and automatic trucks.
- The Driver position may be required to repeatedly lift up to 50 pounds, and move and maneuver up to 100 pounds, as well as mount and dismount the truck multiple times every route.
- We provide personal protective equipment (PPE), including safety vests, gloves, hats, etc.
- We strictly adhere to DOT safety regulations, including motor vehicle record review and drug testing requirements.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and legally eligible to work in the U.S.
- All Drivers must have a valid Class A or B CDL with airbrake endorsement, and a clean driving record.
- At least 1 year experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL, within the last 7 years. Experience as a Driver or Helper for a refuge company is highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of DOT, OSHA and applicable traffic regulations
- Must be able to speak and read English well enough to converse with the general public, understand highway traffic and signals, respond to official questions, and be able to make legible entries on reports and records.
- Must be able to read and understand a map, or route sheet
- Must be able to meet the physical and safety requirements of the position
- Must be willing and able to work required hours as allowed under DOT regulation and may include weekend, night, and/or holiday work.
We believe in providing the training and development you need to grow your career with the Action. Many of our Supervisors, Dispatchers, Managers, and other leadership staff, started their careers as Helpers or Drivers. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
Salary and Benefits
Action is committed to providing a world class work place that provides rewarding compensation and benefits to all employees. We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package which includes both the basics – such as medical insurance and a 401k plan with a generous company match – and added perks like affordable accident insurance, company discounts, and more!
- Pay Type Hourly
- Chester, NY 10918, USA
- Chestnut Ridge, NY, USA
- Sloatsburg, NY 10974, USA